ORGANISE EVENTS IN THE LOCATION
SAN ZOSIMO PALACE
Palazzo San Zosimo was built in 1762 to house the clergy of the Diocese of Syracuse, but unlike all the other works on the Cathedral and the Bishop’s Palace, this building was financed entirely by the Archbishop.
EVENTS & ARCHITECTURE
Palazzo San Zosimo offers a courtyard and an elegant room with stone arches and frescoes at the ground floor. These areas are particularly suitable for receptions, dinners or conferences. The building façade is articulated by an elegant arched doorway which is like a stage set in the second courtyard of the Archbishop palace and defines the eighteenth-century character of the complex. Palazzo San Zosimo, in perfect Baroque style, was in fact built after the earthquake of 1693, during the resto¬ration work of the episcopal residence.
The construction work for the building proceeded very slowly due to the raising of the second floor of Palazzo Torres and the precarious health conditions of the engineer Dumontier, who became ill. In this moment of difficulty the bishop Giuseppe Antonio Requesenz asked the architect Luciano Alì to complete his private chapel and Palazzo San Zosimo, which will be finished after 1772.
Palazzo San Zosimo was built in 1762 to house the clergy of the Diocese of Syracuse, but unlike all the other works on the Cathedral and the Bishop’s Palace, this building was financed entirely by the Archbishop. Architectural historians have attributed the building project to Luigi Alessandro Dumontier, who at that time was the engineer of the bishop, but no document was found with explicit reference to his name. From archive documents we know the place from which the stone was extracted, it is the fiefdom of Tornabene Baron, located in southeast of Syracuse.
In recent years this elegant building houses temporary exhibitions of sacred art, as the Exhibition of the Cathedral Treasury, which includes sacred vessels, liturgical vestments and silver ornaments from the 16th to the 19th century, and the traveling exhibition “Videro e Credettero, la bellezza e la gioia di essere cristiani”, that visited several Italian cities.
STAY UPDATED SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER